Help with Finding Local Disability Services

Help with Finding Local Disability Services

How to Maintain Good Oral Health
January 11, 2019
Seniors and Religion
January 11, 2019

Finding the information, services, and programs that meet your individual disability needs or those of a loved one can be difficult. Below is a listing of some local services.

St. Johns County Health and Human Services can assist through its Social Services Division. Social Services assists clients by connecting them with a wide variety of resources to promote, protect, maintain and improve the health status of citizens. To find out about services use the following link: or call (904) 209-0655 or toll free 1-877-475-2468.

One of its recent announcements is a program providing assistance with prescription costs. The Free Prescription Savings Program, Coast2Coast Rx Card, provides cardholders with an average of 65% on prescription drugs. Discount Prescriptions Program

In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, St. Johns County makes available free sign language interpreter services and other appropriate aids and services to customers or companions who are deaf or hard of hearing and request them. To request services, please call our office at (904) 209-6080. For questions in reference to Title II Procedures regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the St Johns County Compliance Officer, Katie Diaz at (904) 209-0650. For more information, please see Health and Human Services Auxiliary Aids Plan for Persons with Disabilities and Limited-English Proficiency and Auxiliary Aids Plan for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

The local Social Security Office is located at 2428 Old Moultrie Rd, St Augustine, FL 32086, Phone: (877) 405-5867 or for information access this link: for information on social security disability programs. Social Security Disability benefits are provided under two programs:

  • The Social Security disability insurance program pays benefits to you and certain family members if you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes. (Your adult child also may qualify for benefits on your earnings record if he or she has a disability that started before age 22.)
  • The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources.


Agency for Persons with Disabilities

The Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD) is tasked with serving the needs of Floridians with developmental disabilities. It works in partnership with local communities and private providers to assist people who have developmental disabilities and their families. APD also provides assistance in identifying the needs of people with developmental disabilities for supports and services.

The agency serves more than 50,000 Floridians with the following disabilities:

  • People severely impaired by autism
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Spina bifida
  • Intellectual disabilities
  • Down syndrome
  • Prader-Willi syndrome
  • Phelan-McDermid syndrome
  • Children age 3-5 who are at a high risk of a developmental disability

To learn more about its services access the following: or 3631 Hodges Boulevard
Jacksonville, FL 32224, Phone: 1-844-766-7517.